Exercises for lower back pain help in providing quick relief. Lower back pain is mostly caused by prolonged sitting in a constant position and due to injuries. The area which is more susceptible to injury and pain in the lower back area. The muscles, bones, tendons, and ligaments are present in the musculoskeletal system. They keep the structure of our back intact. Any injury or overuse mechanism can destroy their integrity. This can lead to excruciating pain as well. There are many exercises and stretches to help in reducing the pain. The following article will give you the 15 best exercises and stretches for quick pain relief.
Exercises For Lower Back Pain Relief
These exercises are commonly suggested by physiotherapists to strengthen the muscles of the lower back. The results obtained from these exercises are exceptional. These stretches also help you in staying active. If you are suffering from lower back pain, these exercises can improve your health. 15 most effective exercises for lower pain back relief are given below:
Knee To Chest
This is the most effective exercise for your lower back pain. It strengthens the muscles of your back. It helps in releveling the tension from the muscles and reduces the pain. It is easy to perform this exercise. You have to follow these steps.
- You have to lie on your back. Your knees will be in a bent position, and your feet will be flat on the floor.
- Now grab your lower leg with your wrists and make a grip around the knee.
- Gently pull the leg towards your chest while keeping the other leg flat on the floor. You might feel a stretch in the lower back.
- With your hips, legs, and lower back relaxed, hold this position for almost 30-60 seconds.
- Now release the leg and go to the initial position. 6. Repeat the same thing with the other leg.
Cat-Cow Stretch Position
If you want to increase the strength of the core muscles of the back, this exercise is the best option. It releases tension from the lower back and enhances flexibility. You can perform this stretch by following these steps.
- Getting on your hands and feet is the first step, along with the arching of your back, along with your head dropped in the forward position. This is the cat position.
- You have to hold on to this position for 5-10 seconds, and at the end, you will feel a stretch in the lower back.
- Now you have to return to the original position. Your pelvis will now be falling forward, and your back will be curving downward. This will be the cow position.
- You have to maintain this stretch for 5-10 seconds as well. Repeat this cat-cow position at least 15-20 times to get better results.
This rotation is famous for helping in reducing the pain of the lower back. It has great effects on the abdominals and pelvic muscles as well. To perform this rotation, you have to follow these steps:
- Just lie on your back and bring the knees towards your chest. It will just look like you are sitting on a chair in a lying position.
- Now you have to extend your arms, and your palms must be facing down the floor.
- With your knees together and hands on the sides, you have to start rolling the bent knees on the sides. For the right side, hold the position for 15-20 seconds.
- Repeat the same with the other leg. It is important to repeat this exercise on both sides at least 5-10 times.
For releasing the tight muscles of the lower back, this exercise is extremely helpful. To perform this exercise:
- Lie on the back with your knees bent and palms facing the floor on the sides.
- Now you have to arch your back gently. Stabilize the core muscles by outing your stomach and hold this position for few seconds. Relax once you have done this.
- After this, push your feeling upwards, but it should not leave the floor. The muscles of the abdomen and buttocks are tight. Your back will be pressing against the floor.
- Hold this position for 5-10 seconds and relax. Repeat the whole process 10 times.
It is among the most effective exercises for relieving lower back pain when it comes to lower back pain. For this exercise, lie down on the back with your knees bent. You have to put foam or a cushion under the back and lift your hips upward. You have to hold this position for 15-20 seconds. It will help in relaxing your entire body as well.
This exercise includes the use of a rolled towel to achieve supported elevation. This helps in decompressing the muscles of the lower back. For this exercise, you have to place a towel horizontally in front of you and lie down on it. Your face must be facing downward. Your hips must be pressing down the towel. You have to hold this position for 15-20 seconds or even more if you can easily.
These exercises help strengthen the core muscles of your body. They are called cardio exercises as well. Sometimes when people are suffering from lower back pain, doing exercises can be difficult. Physiotherapists recommend swimming to these patients. Swimming is another type of aerobic exercise that lifts the load from the lower back and reduces the pain.
This is another easy exercise where you just have to do some wall sits. It will give you a break from sitting on the couch. It will decrease the stiffness in the muscles of the back. You just have to sit down against the wall with your knees bent and the back pressing against the wall.
Downward Dog Pose
For this position, you have to go into a plank position. With your hands away from each other, you have to lift your hip upwards gently. The next step is to touch the floor with your forehead. Hold this position for 5-10 seconds and then get back on your toes and repeat it.
Piriformis Muscle Stretch
This is the most important stretch for relieving the pain from the lower back. You just have to lie down and bend your knees. With your right leg on the left leg, stretch it towards your left shoulder. You just have to hold this stretch for 30 seconds and repeat with the other leg.
In this exercise, you have to rest your upper back against a bench. Now you have to try lifting the hip upward. Make sure it comes in line with your thighs. Go back to the starting position and repeat the process 10 times.
For this exercise, lie down on the floor and make sure that your elbows are flexed and pointed forward. Inhale by lifting your shoulders and chest against the floor. Hold this position for few seconds and exhale.
For this stretch, you have to lie down with one bent knee. With the help of a towel beneath the foot, start to pull it upwards. It will create stretch along the back of your leg as well. It helps in loosening the tight muscles.
Seat Forward Bend
This pose helps a lot in reducing the pain of the lower back. You have to sit on the floor with your legs straight out and a towel on the bottom of your feet. Now bend your hips forward, bringing your belly to thighs. Maintain this stretch for 20 seconds and relax.
For this exercise, you just have to kneel on the mat with your knees wide. Now by extending your arms forward, your forehead must be downward. Hold this position for 10 seconds and repeat the process once you are done. Exercises for lower back pain are important in giving you quick relief from the pain. Physiotherapists suggest these stretches and exercises. The number of repetitions depends upon the severity of the condition. Usually, you have to do the stretches 3 times to get quick and better results. The most effective exercise include knee to chest, trunk rotation, cat-cow position, and hamstrings stretch. Reputedly doing them will give you better results.